Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
I’m not a 69 guy, but I LOVE this car!
We'll convert you yet Mark.
Zedder (10-30-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nickey Nova View Post
That is a keeper in my book, very nice Z!! My Z is from N.C also, Greensboro area. Called the N.C. DMV and talked to a gal. She went out of her way to look in thru the microfilm and put into the system for me. I sent in the $10.00 and received a bunch of title info, including the ''Statement of Origin'' with the Dealers name. You might want to give them a call at 919-715-7000. Good luck!!
Thanks for that info Mark.

I did some searching to see if there was an early title listed in their DMV but those attempts came back clear with no titles showing in NC. Also did an InstaVIN report which showed some title information from PA that dates back to 1970, but nothing earlier than that. This morning I called the number above and was transferred to a girl in Antique Vehicles for NC DMV.

They only keep records back to the 90's and that may be why earlier searches came up blank. She took the VIN and is going to request a MicroFilm search on the VIN to see if they have any earlier info on the car that may be in their older MF records. If it's there, she can update the file and share any previous info concerning an original title if it was in fact from NC. She told me it may take a while so I'll wait and see if anything comes from that request. I do appreciate the tip Mark, and will report back if I discover the original title, statement of origin or any possible dealer info.

Fingers are crossed.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:06 PM

Still going through the underside of the car and planning a course of attack to clean up some of the black paint that a former owner sprayed to fluff the bottom of the car. Not sure what's best to remove the spray paint but looks like he hit some of the front floor boards, trans tunnel, sub frame rails and the rear leafs in an attempt to cover the old road grime. Good part is that he sprayed it directly over top without much or any prep work so I'm hoping that makes it easier to wipe it down with some solvent and leave the original lacquer or factory rust inhibitor underneath? If anyone has any tips on cleaning off spray paint, don't hesitate to chime in as I'd appreciate any tips on how to scale it back to what factory finish remained prior?

In surveying the bottom of the car this week, I discovered that the rear rocker flaps are intact and I'm happy to say that most if not all of the hardware appears original and correct to the car. Now to go about cleaning it up and not restoring or over cleaning anything. First thing I'm planning is to get rid of the crappy exhaust system he installed and pull the fuel tank which needs a little help. I'll then wash down the rear springs to clean them up and clean the lower shock plates and cable brackets. The brake cables and hard lines will need to be cleaned to remove any paint and once I get the floors and sub frame rails washed down to a suitable finish, the cables and hardware can go back on. Not planning to overdo things, just clean off anything he fluffed and try to rid the chassis of any spray paint. Here's a few shots showing the bottom of the car and suspension before I get to work on it.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:07 PM

A few more shots of the suspension and floors before cleaning. Rear shocks will need to be replaced when I get to the back.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

Has some of the orange overspray been cleaned off of the bell housing? I see traces of orange around the bottom, but that's all. Did the 302 get painted after the bell housing was installed or before?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:08 PM

Engine has been out and was painted when freshened about 4-5 years ago. I don't believe the transmission has ever been out and has not been repainted since. There are remnants of orange paint along the lower bolt holes and a little along the upper flange which I suspect is factory paint. I'm sure there was more applied 50 years ago but much of what would have been there...looks to have worn or flaked off over time. I have not cleaned it but cannot say what the previous owner may have done. FWIW it has a 621 bell in it and I'm not sure if that's another thing with late cars, but it's looking like it's been mated with the original transmission for quite some time if not since it left Norwood? Some better pictures of the bell are being added to show how I got it.

Last edited by NorCam; 10-29-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: adding pictures
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
big gear head (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
A few more shots of the suspension and floors before cleaning. Rear shocks will need to be replaced when I get to the back.

What up with that RH seat belt thing ?

Old 10-29-2019, 10:34 PM

Don't know and never noticed it until you made mention of it? Must have been a lefty installed it. I'll have a better look at it later to see why it's clocked like that.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Don't know and never noticed it until you made mention of it? Must have been a lefty installed it. I'll have a better look at it later to see why it's clocked like that.
It appears the spot welds got broke loose

Last edited by rlw68; 10-30-2019 at 03:13 AM. Reason: removed 2nd question
Old 10-30-2019, 01:48 AM

Thanked 2,029 Times in 645 Posts

Enamel reducer will take the rattle can paint off and not harm the factory paint below. Found that out the hard way on a 70 LS5 Chevelle I passed on this spring, been kicking myself every since. Beautiful car, good luck NorCam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carnut4life For This Useful Post:
napa68 (10-30-2019), NorCam (10-30-2019)