Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 AM

Default Re: 2011 COPO Camaro

[ QUOTE ]
Don't mean to steal your thread, but this is a good opportunity for more pics of Bodies in White.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make things clear. The car that is being proposed by GM is not a BIW. It is a turn-key, real life COPO, drag car!

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time you could do this with GM??

[/ QUOTE ]

You could buy a F-Body BIW in 2001.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM

I think the big hang up for most folks is gonna be the "no vin" thing...and, I'm guessing no interior, etc?

As a racer I can appreciate it (this announcement is about 6 months too late!), but I'm afraid it might limit the customer base severely?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the big hang up for most folks is gonna be the "no vin" thing...and, I'm guessing no interior, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood. If anyone is planning to buy one of these they need to be a racer or serious collector. They will not be street legal and cannot ever be tagged. If built, they will come with a full interior (per Stock Eliminator rules). I'm sure that they will get a serial number.

[ QUOTE ]
As a racer I can appreciate it (this announcement is about 6 months too late!), but I'm afraid it might limit the customer base severely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford has had zero problems selling 100 Cobra Jets and Dodge has sold 100 Drag Pack Challengers. Both companies are thinking about doing more. Gm's timeline reflects their situation as a company. This was actually going to happen last Spring!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 PM

I would be interested in a very limited number street legal copo, but not the race copo only.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in a very limited number street legal copo, but not the race copo only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will pass that on. But, I really doubt they would build one. The Z28 should be pretty limited.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Part of me has always wondered if anyone would attempt to take one of these non VIN type modern cars and figure out how to register them like reproduction kit cars get done. Pipe dream for sure, but it would be cool until the G-men get you in their sights ala Joel Rosen.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM

i think this is a great idea..again...Gm needs to step-up here like the did back in the late 60's with the trans-am series...i wish they would air the superstock series on ESPN with the dodge,ford and chevy...mite do the country some good!
MY GARAGE.....www.dragcitygarage.com
Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of me has always wondered if anyone would attempt to take one of these non VIN type modern cars and figure out how to register them like reproduction kit cars get done. Pipe dream for sure, but it would be cool until the G-men get you in their sights ala Joel Rosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/BIW.pdf

I'm sure that a similar contract will have to be signed for a COPO. One thing that some of you guys are missing is that the original COPOs were aimed at Stock/SS. The same goes for the new cars. The rules have changed a lot since 1969. Both Federal and Stock/SS! These new cars have the potential to run very low nines with very little work!!