Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-16-2020, 12:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

You guys have already ID'd this trans fairly well, so not much more I can add.

Just for a quick reference though, my old Oct of 1968 '69Z had it's factory installed M22 without the "C" stamp. The trans was built right before they started stamping those designations.

My VIN was built shortly after the one being discussed: N515415. I'm posting a pic of the trany stamps for comparison. I'm sure others have closer built numbers to compare, but this is what I had to share.

What would have been beneficial on the Ebay trans is if it still had a 3950318 M22 metal ID tag attached to the side cover. No extra value really, mostly just a bonus part.

To me, unless I owned the matching number car, this would just be another Muncie that could be installed and used as desired. No way to prove it's a factory M22, so it really doesn't matter if it was or wasn't. If it has the M22 gears in it, then just enjoy the 1st gear whine and the bragging rights of having a M22 in your car.

Charlie
Attached Images

Rumbleguts396 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 01:53 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinProgress View Post
The "9" in the assembly date stamp is for model year of car. The "9" was used throughout the entire '69 Camaro year.

- Warren

You're correct Warren - my mistake. I've never personally owned an early '69 Camaro. Question for those who have studied early cars - did the earliest cars have 68 model year trans assemblies? Or else it must have been a nightmare coordinating the change over in all of those assembly plants. Did the trans model assembly year always agree with the car model year (especially at change over time)?
Old 05-16-2020, 05:09 PM

Thanked 1,998 Times in 507 Posts

This thread reminded me of a 1969 Z/28 I inspected years ago. I'm afraid I don't have a picture (pre-iPhone days) but I looked up my notes. It was a color change Cortez Silver car that was wearing mid 80's mag wheels and had been stored for a decade or more. There were two correctly dated AD rallys stacked nearby that were taken off in the 80s, it had a dated BU rearend, correct clutch fan, etc, but I couldn't find a VIN on the block (decked as I recall). Besides being an early build, it was a Van Nuys car, so obviously no X codes.

The transmission was stamped with both the correct partial VIN (9L50683x), and a production stamping of P9P13 C. The C was obviously stamped separately, as it was apart from the rest, not quite in line, and stamped notably deeper. The C stamping with a September 13 1968 assembly confused me, as it was too early for the documented October A/B/C suffix addition at the plants. But the build date on the trim tag was 10E, or 5th week of October, so I concluded that the C was added somewhere in the time between the initial assembly of the transmission, and the final assembly of the car.

Without pictures and a car to look at, I realize this is all anecdotal, but I thought I'd share my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to tom406 For This Useful Post:
Rumbleguts396 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:14 PM

Bergy,
Just like most of the parts in the assembly plant, 69 parts were required for the 69 build. Forecasting the usage requirements and getting the stock to zero, but still having the parts to build the last cars - the scheduler didn't have an easy job, esp at model year end....