Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 09-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,610 Times in 495 Posts
Cool Karen's Audi Q7...

Well, while Karen waits for her new 2018 Q7 to arrive the battery craps the bed in her 2009 model. It is an interesting project to change one of these batteries...they reside under the front seat

Besides the highly convenient location....the battery is the size of a 30 pack of beer...and much, much heavier

Since her battery was dead I had to connect the old Suburban to the remote posts under the hood to provide juice to make the power seat work. The seat must be moved back and forth to access various hardware items and ultimately tipped back to get at the giant battery.

If you ever have to change one of these behemoths make sure you have the correct tools...10mm 3/8 long socket and 10mm serrated wrench..plus a flat plastic or metal putty knife to help remove the access covers. Oh, and a strong back is helpful as well

Caution: the 2 bolts holding down the front seat were very tight...needed a small breaker bar on the 3/8 ratchet to get them loose...they also seem to be a gathering point for moisture/salt...so you may need to use some penetrating solvent and work the bolts back and forth to remove without breaking them.

The removal and install are a little awkward, since there is barely enough room to get the battery in and out of the tray...even with the seat tipped up.
Make sure you re-connect the vent tube to the new battery. There are several you-tube videos on the web that are helpful.

Karen is going to the dealer today to have the Panzerwagon's 'engine control gizmo' re-set....a battery swap requires moderate mechanical skills and an engineering degree to make sure it works with all the other electronic stuff hidden within the Q7

By the way, this 2009 was one of the turbo diesel models that VW got caught for 'massaging' the emissions system computer stuff...her next car is a gas model.

*She tells me the new car does not come with a dipstick to check the oil...it is an option that can be installed by the dealer What do you want for $70k...everything??

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

My partner bought a new Audi and he hates it. Not user friendly controls and the no dipstick thing even the oil change guys hate. When changing the oil the engine has a remote reservoir that holds a quart of oil. the oil change guy has to wait 10 minutes for it to release the oil.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Wow !!!!..............

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM

Sounds like quite the pain. Sadly it's still probably easier and WAY cheaper than a Lexus LFA oil change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5Bcdeg6gI
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Sure do like my Chevy, GMC & Ford ... TAZ
Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 PM

My wife had a Mini Cooper S, never did find the battery in that one. When I changed the battery on her X5 I connected a Citek charger to the cables to hold the vehicle info systems, while the battery was out, eliminating a trip to Munich to get the thing reset.
My E63 AMG has 2 batteries and they are both small compared to the ones in the E55.
On the subject of the older technology I just "retired" the Diehard Gold that was in my 68 Charger since 2000. 17 years that thing lasted. The yellow Optima in my Yukon XL has been there for 9 years.
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 09-07-2017, 06:16 PM

New cars are just an appliance and have no soul. They all really look the same and none of them excite me. But we need them unfortunately.
I bought a GS350 back in 2013 that I still own, my buddy buys his wife some sort of Mazda a month later. That dang Mazda looked just like this damn Lexus I bought and we just stood there and laughed because it was about 1/2 the price.
Late model/new cars....just a necessary evil... IMO