Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Really dumb idea, need someone close to Milton, NY to pull it off

OK, so here is your weekend laugh. I get in the biggest messes sometimes. I posted a while back about an old (built in 1919) warehouse I bought to convert to shop space. I had initially planned to just convert the lower 1/3, about 1400 ft, to shop space. Then I got greedy. The middle third was still the original wood floor. Huge 16 foot 2 x 12 trusses with 2x6 Douglas Fir flooring. I decided to remove all the wood flooring and concrete the floor to add another 1200 ft to my shop space. I go the flooring removed for free, as I had some friends that wanted that 100 year old Doug Fir (zero knots!) so they paid a couple of guys to pull it. What could go wrong? Well, turns out the wood floor was built over an existing artesian well. That's right, a well, right in the middle of what will be my floor. Rather than fight the well (it is about 7 feet deep, three feet in diameter, and fills up completely after just 1/2 inch of rain... obviously spring fed), I plan to leave it there and install a 30 inch manhole cover over the well, so I can maintain the sump pump. On top of that the water table is about 6 inches deep. So, Sherri and I are installing a huge drain system under where the slab will be. Luckily, I have plenty of room on the South side of the building to run the drainage for both the weeping pipe and the sump pump.

So, here is where I need help. Composit manhole covers and frames are really expensive (cheap if you want a 20 inch, but I really need a 30 inch cover and a 34 or greater frame). I have a brick mason buddy who can help me brick and mortar a base for either a composite or cast iron manhole cover.

Found a 30 inch cover and frame (seller has more than 10) on ebay (who would have thought?). Problem is, I am in Guthrie America (just North of OKC) and the manhole covers are in Milton, NY, which I gather is about 30 min. South of Maybrook, NY, where there happens to be a YRC terminal.

Anyone in that area that would be willing to go by and pick up a manhole cover and frame? It will be really heavy, but I believe if you have a pallet in the back of a pick up, the seller will load it on the pallet. Then all you have to do is make a trip to the YRC terminal in Maybrook. I will have already prepaid the shipping, and will of course, be glad to pay you for your time and gas.

Let me know via PM.

Yeah, I know, I need to post pics. What a mess this place is right now. Can't even get it graded until we get the drainage system installed. Will take about 380 feet of 4 inch perforated pipe. We keep saying: "What a mess.... but it will be cool when done."
God I hope so. Every time I see Charley make a reference to one of his "idiot friends", I feel like part of the fraterrnity.

Here's a shot of just a 1/3 of the flooring pulled up, and another looking down the well after pumping it out. Have not cleaned all the debris out yet, and probably won't until I get the manhole cover and concrete in place.
Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-03-2019, 03:11 AM

It is OK if this doesn't work out. A composite isn't that bad. I will just have to build a fairly elaborate base for it. The metal one I am looking at has a huge base that will span my well.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:05 AM

Boy, that's an unexpected cool surprise! You've gotta find somebody with a metal detector to go over that before you pour the new floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to mssl72 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

'

Have you considered the cheaper to ship Fiberglass Manhole Cover kits like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Standartpark-.../dp/B01DOS36GY
Also, Mark's right on w/ the metal detector note above and have you found anything cool yet digging/raking through the dirt?
Such a cool building!

~ Pete

markinnaples (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Kind of cool and spooky at the same time. Had no idea what we were going to find in there.

I have a metal detector and will make a sweep before putting down road fabric. So far we have found a vintage Pepsi bottle, a vintage Coke bottle, several old very large pistons (about 6 inches in diameter... assuming some kind of farm equipment) and a couple of half pint whiskey bottles.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLeathersac View Post
'

Have you considered the cheaper to ship Fiberglass Manhole Cover kits like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Standartpark-.../dp/B01DOS36GY
Also, Mark's right on w/ the metal detector note above and have you found anything cool yet digging/raking through the dirt?
Such a cool building!

~ Pete

Yes, I have Pete. I even looked at that one. You can buy it $15 cheaper directly from the manufacturer, free shipping. https://standartpark-usa.com/collect...er-home-design

Problem is, it just isn't big enough. I would have to build a huge tapered base for it. I did find one that is larger, but the price goes up by the square apparently. Still, at $545, not too bad. I will still take more engineering to support the base.

The metal one I am looking at has a huge base, and will not take nearly as much work prepping the hole. It will, however, be considerably more difficult to put in place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Signal-M...53.m1438.l2649
Old 06-03-2019, 01:49 PM

This is really cool! I live in 175-year-old house and have found some interesting things nothing quite like this. It definitely makes you think about the idea if the proverbial walls could talk what stories they might tell and what went on. Good luck with this project
Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 PM

Not only that, but think how much we take our fresh water for granted. Some guy had to dig that hole. Have no idea how deep it goes. I will clean it out some after we get concrete in there. Then they laid those stones (which they also had to dig up) in the tubular shape you see. We have no idea what year the well was dug. But, I am betting late 1900's. I believe there was another structure there at one time, close to where this one is. Haven't had a chance to check land records and see if there is a clue. Pretty sure you would not be allowed to build right over an existing well today, at least not in municipal limits.
markinnaples (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
...We have no idea what year the well was dug. But, I am betting late 1900's...
Did you mean late 1800's?? Hey, when you clean the debris out and if it's not too deep, see if you can run the detector coil down there. Maybe it was somebodies wishing well!

Last edited by mssl72; 06-03-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM

Lynn

Did you try these guys? They’re probable the largest manufacturer in the world for manholes, water valves and all kinds of other related steel products. I bet you have a dealer locally that could get you what you want. They are one of my former customers based in Northern Michigan and have foundries and sales outlets around the world.

Note they have a foundry in Ardmore, OK.

https://www.ejco.com/am/en/products/...2522Round%2522

Last edited by Vern B; 06-03-2019 at 09:30 PM.