Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: CURRENT VALUES OF CAMARO 427 ALUMINUM ENGINE C

It's NOT #35---that ZL-1 is MINE
the Zl-1 you are talking about is #36, I did see it before
it was restored.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed…coupes of the before mentioned LS-6 Chevelle, RAIV Judge, 1970 GSX, W-30s and 1969 TA’s generally top out at slightly over six figures and not in the range of Zl-1s, Yenkos or convertible models. But I would definitely classify the 68-69 Hurst/Olds cars as equivalent to the any of the above mentioned GM coupes historically and monetarily as well. Thanx RM

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely done RAIV Judges are bringing up to $150k. You can get a nice #'s RAIII 69 T/A for less than $100k. 68 Firebird and GTO RAII cars are up there, too, but rare as he11, so hard to put a price on them.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's NOT #35---that ZL-1 is MINE
the Zl-1 you are talking about is #36, I did see it before
it was restored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clearing that up....I knew it was another green car like my #34 car. Wasn't sure if it was #35 or #36. I was not sure which it was...I believe I saw your car at Carlisle a few years ago. Really nice !!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml

"The telling blow for COPO 9560 was the price. Gibb is quoted as saying he believed the cars would list for around $4900. Unfortunately for Gibb, the new edict at Chevrolet came through that options had to be priced according to production costs. Just the "HIGH PERFORMANCE UNIT" option was priced at $4160.50. (For reasons unknown, subsequent ZL-1s were priced at $4160.15) The mandatory power disc brakes and transmission option pushed sticker prices over $7300. This was far more than a well equipped 1969 Corvette and would be roughly equivalent to today's Z06 Corvette. Not only would the cars not sell, Gibb likely was unable to pay for them. Gibb plead his case, and in an unprecedented move, Chevrolet agreed to the return of many ZL-1 Camaros. The cars were shipped back to Norwood, Ohio beginning in May 1969 and Chevrolet began to shop the cars around. Gibb also wholesaled cars directly to other dealers who would soon learn what he knew: they were sale-proof. Many dealers removed and sold the ZL-1 engines, replacing them with iron 396 or 427s, adding stripes and mag wheels, doing whatever it took to sell the white elephants. Several were stolen and never recovered. Gibb sold his last new 1969 ZL-1 Camaro in 1972 (with the aid of a $1000 rebate from Chevrolet). It was re-possessed and returned it to Gibb in 1973."

"Fred Gibb may have believed the ZL-1 Camaro was his exclusively. Compounding his difficulty in selling the cars was the fact that other Chevrolet dealers had learned of the COPO and ordered 19 additional ZL-1 Camaros. Some of these cars had more optional equipment. Many of these Camaros found the same cold reception as the Gibbs' cars and suffered the same fate: engine swaps, theft, modifications."

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI...Car #34 was sent back to Norwood plant by Gibb in May 69 and reinvoiced to Govan's Chevrolet. The car finally sold in June of 1970....for 4800 dollars!!! Had to be way below dealer cost I would think !!!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 PM

if you ran across one of the ones that was supposidly stolen, how could you register it (when found)? could someone from way way back have claim to it and tie it up in court?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanked 2,418 Times in 764 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
if you ran across one of the ones that was supposidly stolen, how could you register it (when found)? could someone from way way back have claim to it and tie it up in court?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a serious possibility. The higher the value...the higher the likelihood of old ownership issues popping up.

Just think what happens whenever a sunken treasure ship is found. Even though maritime law is an obscure area of practice, the original insurance company or whomever has bought their rights over the past 400 years always ends up being a part of the "payout" that inevitably occurs.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you understand that possession of stolen property is a continuos crime, you can expect some knock on your door if you register one, or found to have one. Most likely after you spend your life savings restoring it ---LOL

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 AM

HI you would have to come to canada to get the owner ship
Old 01-18-2010, 04:22 AM

My #35 was also returned to Norwood then to Sutliff Chevrolet in Harrisburg, Pa. They added a rear spoiler and rally wheels to try and sell it. Information given to me by Mr.Bruce Larson, he also told me they had him take the car to the drag strip along with his race car to try and sell the ZL-1. The dealer finally sold it in September 1971.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 AM

Thanked 5,371 Times in 1,884 Posts

Neat stuff Mark!