Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 11-06-2003, 06:02 PM

Default TUNNEL PORT RA V

Milt Schornack tested the prototype GTO Judge at Miami Dragway. This car was painted orange. With half a tank of gas the car weighted 3640 pounds. The 800 CFM Holley was a major improvement on the old quadrajet carb. Though the intake manifold was a poor (tuned for 5000 RPM plus) design as a result of the low hood line requirement. Doug Thorley provided custom headers and the car was equipped with an M-21 and 4.88 gears. An aluminum flywheel did not prove up to the task however. The half dozen passes made started out with a 12.42 @ 113 run. The times continued to improve with a best time of 11.86 @ 116 MPH. A production run of 1500 cars was suggested and these would have the better M-22 transmission and heavy duty rear end parts.
"CARS" magazine wrote about another RA V car, tested in Florida with mfg. plate (GM 0750). This GTO was said to be the prototype for the line. They made excuses about it's poor performance saying the motor was tired but said it had 11 second potential.
There were even more exotic engines that Pontiac was testing and looking at for production. Included were SOHC and DOHC versions of future Pontiac engines. The energy crisis helped to kill those ideas.
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-25-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Re: TUNNEL PORT RA V

not to mention the 427 hemi charles.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:26 AM

Was Mac MacKellar responsible for the RAV ? I read where he ran around the streets with an OHC 421 63 Prix...
Old 11-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,626 Posts

--------Ive seen that car at the POCI nationals.Very CQQL! I dont know the status of Mac today.Can anyone help? He was given that OHC car,or maybe the motor alone installed in the car,as a retirement present.I heard it run but never saw it agressively driven. Wish I had! Would it be fair to say Mac was a visionary,possibly a genius? A lot of Pontiac guys think so...........Bill S
Old 12-19-2003, 08:36 PM

The OHC 421 tri -power in Mac's car was a gift to him from GM after he retired. GM was going to scrap it along with others that Mac had built. There where several peices missing when Mac go the engine. The whole thing had to be rebuilt prior to installatiion. Many leaks. Mike Cimoli worked on it and found that the cams where on the wrong side. Corrected problems and ran ran like a champ. Mac continued to try different exhaust breathers etc. The '63 GP was reasently repainted. 2-3years ago.
I spoke to Mac this past Saturday. Do to his health he is not very comfortable. Pacemaker, lower back problem (failed low back surgery 10 years ago), and now burning feet. He can't function without much pain. He's most upset that he has'nt been able to work on his cars in 10 years.
Did you know Mac took a course in body work about 11 - 12 years ago? He was restoring a 1966 GTO convertible.
He is one of the most modist people you'll ever meet.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:40 PM

Loved that old 1970 Chevelle SS. Ertl sent me two of those a few years ago.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:04 PM

Copo.. the main man with all the pics..... have you got any pics of this orange Judge other than the one in the Super Stock? There must be other photos of it, but the editor only used 1 in the article. Or maybe some one else has knowledge of where they may be.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:31 PM

Copo.. the main man [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img] with all the pics..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img] Probably i have many old review [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Too many this is the problem [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 11:37 PM

Well it would be REALLY sweet if you can post one of the rear of the car showing the spoiler and tag, plus a straight on front veiw.

I will owe you a favor [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 11:47 PM

Steved
a Pepsi with this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]