View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_COPO_Canuck View Post
Dave - Contrary to the current urban myths - Shaker bubble could be black or argent in 1970. Lot's of examples of both on good, original cars

Good sleuthing on the speedo gear!
The first is regarding the shaker scoop (bubble) paint. Going waaaaaaay back to Dave’s comment (Post #42, on p. 5), which is encapsulated in Jim’s above comment (#65 on p. 7): Yes! The shaker scoop could be painted either Textured Argent -or- Black Organisol, however, there was one exception. Because the hemicuda feature car in the advertisements was painted FE5 Rally Red, all ‘Cudas with shaker hoods, which were ordered in that color, in 1970, were REQUIRED to have a matching red shaker. In fact, many customers said that they ordered the car BECAUSE of the red shaker! The problem which incurred the ire of those who were in the body & paint department on the assembly lines, was the semi-herculean effort it took to make them look good! The shaker scoops had a rough finish from the factory, with imperfections which were covered by the texture of either the argent, or, black. In order to achieve an acceptable finish which matched that of the sheetmetal, it required quite a bit of sanding, and, filling, otherwise the smooth, glossy red finish would only amplify the imperfections! In an assembly line scenario, where time is money, all that extra massaging was not welcomed!

(Note: The only incident of greater magnitude of design-viewed-with-disdain by factory personnel l of which I am aware was the case of the ’71 ‘Cuda “billboard” engine call-out decals (which I had heard were designed by a college student intern who majored in Graphic Design). I have heard that an internal memo, from production to the design department, was an emphatically stated, “Never make a decal that big again!!!!” (or, words to that effect). …And, I vividly recall the arduous & protracted installation process, back in ’85, on Steve’s EV2 Tor Red 440+6 ‘Cuda droptop. After we spent something like 10 hours per side applying them, I sure can understand why! (They sure did look great, though!))

PS I've included my favorite ad of the era. My next-in-line fave is the Rally Red '70 hemicuda "wearing" the "large economy size" mod floral print tie, emanating from the center of the grille.

PPS …And, finally (for now), if anyone knows the whereabouts of a '70 lenticular flasher promo button which says, "Whats Hot & Shakes? It's Hemicuda!," please let me know! Thanks so much!
Attached Images

Last edited by CTBob; 01-08-2021 at 04:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CTBob For This Useful Post:
427TJ (01-08-2021), olredalert (01-08-2021), PeteLeathersac (01-08-2021)