Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 1,002 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: COPO VALUES IN GENERAL

Sold! You can have the Vitar COPO at the bargain price of only $165,000.00.

Vitar COPO
Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

So many variables on these but I think the right car should break 200k. Good docs with great color and options aren't that easy to find. I would guess 50k difference between a FG
auto and a RG 4spd.
My old DY, white interior 4spd will be at RS this month. Might get an idea from that one if it sells.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 AM

I am a little surprized at these pries based on what I have been gleening from previous threads on this site. I thought the pries would be higher. Maybe I am confusing these with the prices of the aluminum engin cars?
1970-71 Hemi E body hardtops autos have been selling in the $150K range with about a 5% add for 4 speed. I thought the COPO camaros were urrently selling for onsiderably more.

Now I am going to ask about another current valuation but in a new thread so as not to onfuse things.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 AM

I don't want to start an argument over Chevy vs. Mopar.
Looking at production numbers is a good way to start when you are trying to value something.
Also you have to look at the "fan base" and I would say without question the most popular brand back in the 60's and 70's was Chevrolet.
So, you might have the same production numbers but you might have more Chevrolet lovers out there.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to start an argument over Chevy vs. Mopar.
Looking at production numbers is a good way to start when you are trying to value something.
Also you have to look at the "fan base" and I would say without question the most popular brand back in the 60's and 70's was Chevrolet.
So, you might have the same production numbers but you might have more Chevrolet lovers out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is trying to start an arguement about this. I am simply making a comparision of the two.
I don't think that what was popular in the day has a whole lot to do with what people will pay for a car today. There are MANY hobbist/collectors out there today that are not necessarily brand loyal including myself. This is one of the big reasons for the big jump in Mopar prices a few years back. When it was basically Mopar people buying them the prices remained lower. Suddenly when many collectors realized the low producion numbers compared to GM and Ford products they started looking at and buying them.

I make the comparision between these cars because they are both pony cars with similar engines and similar production numbers.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 AM

The COPOs should really bring more than the Mopars based on the fan base and the fact that every E body can be IDed by the vin and very few COPOs have docs.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The COPOs should really bring more than the Mopars based on the fan base and the fact that every E body can be IDed by the vin and very few COPOs have docs.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH???
I don't understand your rationale' with that statement?
Yes, a Hemi E body is "documentable" by the V.I.N. which should certainly trump a "maybe" car that someone wants big money for.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 AM

You're hanging out on the wrong forum...This is the sYc site, "dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the Chevrolet dealer built Supercars and COPO cars"... and around here a mopar isn't "trumping" a COPO or any other Chevrolet Supercar.

I grow tired of these constant "what it's worth" arguments anyhow.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're hanging out on the wrong forum...This is the sYc site, "dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the Chevrolet dealer built Supercars and COPO cars"... and around here a mopar isn't "trumping" a COPO or any other Chevrolet Supercar.

I grow tired of these constant "what it's worth" arguments anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an arguement but rather an observation.

Yeah, I know what kind of a web site it is and the brand bias and I consider the source on those comments.

I am a CAR GUY, not a Mopar or a Chevy guy. I have owned MANY of both and simply like ALL old muscle cars, just some more than others.

When I joined this site I thought it was non-denominationaland expected it to be just what the name implied a "supercar site" for all brand name supercars. It is a little confusing with the BIG "Super Car Registry" but then a web address of yenko.net, which I didn't notice for some time as i simply saved it to "my favorites" when I came across it. Too bad something like that doesn't really exist that everyone can just get along on and discuss ALL super cars without bias.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM

I simply meant that COPOs are rarer than Hemi E bodies. Although the production numbers are very close most of the COPOs can't be positively identified and every Hemi can. The Hemi engine makes the dif. Without it the values wouldn't even be close. I really like the V codes but in alot of cases they won't bring half the money of a Hemi.