Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Re: COPO VALUES IN GENERAL

Some comments since my last post addressing others.

My original purpose for this thread was to learn the true values of these cars today. I also wanted to compare them to the best comparible factory built car of the day . The Boss 429 could have been thrown in as well but I don't think they made anywhere near the numbers so I did not include them. I know there is another forum for other muscle but this thread has more to do with the COPOs than other muscle.

I think that WIW posts do a lot for a web site. They often either bring people to the site to post that know of an unknown car or possibly do the same with others that have been here for a while and are laying in the weeds.

These muscle car prices have PRIMARILY been driven by their h.p. and their reputations on the race tracks. The body styles do play a role as well and when you mix the two in a FACTORY combination it really brings on the interest/value.

Yes, a Hemi powered E body jacks the price up, but that is all a COPO Camaro is as well, just the addition of the big engine and what came with it, take that away and it is just another Camaro.

Generally I compare muscle cars from make to make based on the factory h.p. ratings and usually the pricing is close. There are a few exceptions. When we get into the 425 h.p. and above cars, the true h.p. is often hidden in those factory ratings for insurance purposes of the day. They are rated at rpm ranges that are not the true potential of that engines.

For the most part six pack Mopars are 1/2 or less than a hemi in the same body with the exception of the 1969 six pack Bees and RRs as the price of Hemi cars in those body styles has slipped more than the values of the 69 six pack cars.

For the short period of time I have been here I will agree that there seems to be a vast amount of knowledge of all makes which is nice to see.

Regarding the comment of which make is faster I would not BEGIN to open that arguement here other than to say that is what dragstrips are for. We all know that there are so many varables with the old car magazine test of the day that any of the cars being tested could have been beaten by it's factory competitor on any given day. This is what makes this hobby so much fun.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,243 Times in 348 Posts

great discussion guys - gotta love this site! Just my two cents - but I (and I believe many others on this site) love the late '60 through early '70s US muscle car era. That's why I collect cars from that period. Hemi Challenger, COPO Camaro, A/C Cobra, and '67 GT500 are my favorites - that's why they're in my garage. When you see them sitting side by side - it's a great sight. COPO Camaro will always be my favorite of all though!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 PM

With the COPO Camaros, the values can be a broad range depending on original drivetrain, paperwork, know history, etc. Assuming you are referring to a car that is original drivetrain with paperwork and a proper restoration, I would guess the COPO 427/425hp cars are still in the $200-250K range. I really don't have any recent sales information though so it's a guess based on asking prices. COPO cars with non original drivetrain or no paperwork seem to be under $200K but again that's a guesstimate. There's really no reason to compare them to any other make/model of car because it comes down to supply and demand. Maybe if anyone knowing of any real recent sales could chime it the price window might be better defined.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 PM

I personally think the Hemi cars are great cars but over inflated.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a lot easier to get a Hemi back in the day than it was to get a COPO?

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 AM

there are several on ebay at this time.not sure about if there real or not but there are some on there for value ideas.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 AM

150k - 250k for a non Yenko depending on whether or not it has the Sports Car Conversion, D80, gauges etc...
Setting aside the engine and a few major items, without having a fairly extensive base of knowledge about the minute details of COPO's, a person could overlook one in a micro second... however if you know the numbers all you have to do is look at a Mopar TT.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 AM

Thanked 2,214 Times in 543 Posts

Boss 429's are right in the thick of this debate, with production of 1358 (859/499-69/70), a big special motor and an iconic bodystyle. All 4speeds so we don't have to worry about that variable. They're currently in this price structure as well, with $150K buying a good car without a lot of needs, but likely with a NOM block and in a common color (White or Grabber Blue). $200K+ for killer cars with original engines, and to get beyond that you probably would have to have a time capsule black or red S-motor (so-called NASCAR spec motor the first 272 cars had) car with perfect history.

Though I agree that the market drives these similar cars to similar levels, I bristle a bit when people try to formulate equations based upon production and horsepower ratings. Boss 302's and '69 Z/28's shouldn't be valuable with these criteria. Less than 300 advertised hp and 20K production do not equate with $50K-$100K examples. Just demand and supply.

And people have to like the cars. Copos, Bosses, and Cudas are pretty cars. Hemi Darts are awesome, but not pretty, and not practical to even hit a cruise night in.

Finally, IMO you have to forgive a LOT about E-bodies to step up and pay the big money. I loved looking at these cars since I was a kid. Wanted a Challenger since I first saw Kowalski popping pills and burning rubber on a midnight showing of Vanishing Point. Finally got my first drive (in a RED 440 6 PACK, no less) in '93. I was very disappointed The doors that rattle for 5 seconds after you close them, the interior made out of too few pieces of molded plastic, etc. I've never gotten over it. I'll probably never own a 70/71 Cuda or Challenger because of my failure to allow great style and killer drivetrains to overcome the rest of it. (No offense to E body owners. You have beautiful cars. I just won't be buying them )
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 AM
SCR Sponsor

We sold a few Hemi Cudas last year all were 4 speeds.

The low was $165,000.00 for a driver quality Hemi up to the Mid $200,000.00 range. The Hemi Cuda we had at Russo and Steele last year was a no sale at $235-$240,000, range plus the buyers premium.

We also currently have a very original Survivor Cuda for sale which will be running across the block at Russo and Steele in a couple of weeks, so we might have a chance to feel things out on that one.

Comparable L72 9561 COPO Camaros have been and are bringing close to these prices today. Tomorrow may be different.

Yenko L72 9561s fetch approx. $75-$100k more, car for car and ZL1 9560 COPOs fetch approx. double the Yenko number car for car.

With that said generalities are just that, and when the supply demand equasion is out of whack either way, you can have wild price swings up or down.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 AM

Have you sold or know of any '71 Hemi E bodies that have sold recently-specifically Challengers??

MB
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 AM

I sold a Low Mileage MINT original body Black 71' Hemi Challenger 4 spd Mr. Norms car with TONS of original documentation last year.. for I beleive $235k which I thought was fair money for a non shaker car with a warranty motor.

I currently know of a couple 71's for sale around the 200k range. I would say the market is 175k to 275k depending on the car, color and options and add about another 100k on top of that for a 71' Cuda IMO. And those are price where you could find a buyer I know some guys are still asking insane money but they arent finding buyers.