Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,975 Times in 1,692 Posts
Default Re: Where to start?

------Dave,,,Honestly, no! It can vary so much. These boat motors had quite a bit of extra work done in longevity areas as I want them to live for many seasons. Boat motors run at (sometimes) high RPMs for long periods and need very good balancing just for starters. A good 383 doesnt have a lot of crazy stuff internally, however so they can be built and built well for much less than, say, a small block 427. There are guys on the board that can give you a better ballpark area than me.........Bill S
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM

BTW, I used to have a 1986 red and honey Minx but, got rid of it since I drove it like a maniac and was going to hurt someone if I kept it. I love the old classic Donzi's, Magnums and Cigarettes, they have so much more personality than today's modern boats.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 AM

-----Dave,,,In that case you would love my 24 DONZI Spitfire. 24 feet and 832 horsies!!! Rarest of the rare as we figure there were only about 15 made. Should do about 75/80 when dialed in . The muscle car of boats .......Bill S
Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I have decided to hang onto my '69 Corvette I really want to start to get it looking and running how I want. I would like to get some American Racing Torque Thrusts (I know everyone has them but, I just like how they look), I want to detail the engine compartment and undercarriage and, most of all, I want to do something with the engine.
I can't decide whether or not I should rebuild the original motor or buy a nice crate motor.
I have never done anything seriously mechanical like rebuilding a motor so I am hesitant to make the numbers matching motor my first attempt but, I do think I'd prefer to have the original in the car.
What is the cost for a rebuild as opposed to a crate motor. I know that's a rather vague question but, what I would like to see in the motor would be something a little more stout than the stock L46 with a bit of a lumpy cam; maybe something in the 400 HP range.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome as well as any reputable shops that could rebuild my motor should I decide to go that route.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ] Rather than trip over the original motor in the garage (or worse, let it sit outside and rust), I'd build a slightly improved version of the 350HP version of your matching # block(heads/cam?/intake/valve covers/deep pulleys/383 crank...) with a little "pocket" work on the 350HP heads. It'll look and run great, you won't have to shell out $$ for another motor, and you'll have a car with more "cool" factor
Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM

room mate just out of college had a 27 Baja with a roller cammed aluminum headed blown 502...that thing would fly... didn't mean to hijack... just love fast boats!
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Take the L46 and put a set of heads, cam, intake, and headers and it should be plenty stout for you... The L46 is a wonderful engine and the bottom end is strong enough for what you want to do.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 PM

------Dave,,,I would still put together a stout 383 and store your original. What happens when you build up the numbers match motor and then puke it??? As well, after your time is up with the Vette you can reinstall your original and go for the bucks with a fresh detail, all the while still having the 383 sitting around for another project or for sale. I dont know,,,It seems like a win-win to me. .......Bill S
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I used to have a 1986 red and honey Minx but, got rid of it since I drove it like a maniac and was going to hurt someone if I kept it. I love the old classic Donzi's, Magnums and Cigarettes, they have so much more personality than today's modern boats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave,

First off, let me say best of luck with your tranformation and that I would love to see photos of your car before and after. I have always loved the 68-72 last of the Chrome bumper Vettes and have had a few that were lots of fun over the years and am looking fowward to another at some point. Preferably a big block 4 speed a/c car(getting too old not to have a/c).

Additionally, since we are on the topic of boats, I realize mine does not have the character of the older boats, but she sure is lots of fun! Nothing like grabbing 3 friends and gear and hitting the water at a cool 100mph with a blown 572 Big Block Chevy! I'm guessing you have figured out that I am partial to Big Blocks by now. Not that I have anything at all against small blocks as I have a bunch of them too, but there is just something about a Big Block that always gets me going. Here's some pics of my dingy for your viewing pleasure.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM

Nice boat, looks like a Velocity.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 AM

Dave, I had a black/grey Minx LE

and a matching 18 black/grey LE

and now a white/blue 22 Criterion.... surely you know what a Criterion is