Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Re: stolen camaro found out of state

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 68l30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this Little league? Everyone gets a trophy? It appears to be a stolen car, STOLEN PROPERTY...He apparently own's it. The one who invested in stolen property loses, sad but true,a hard expensive lesson to learn. He may be a great guy, BUT..

Make sure you buy a car with a clean title. I've bought 100's...if something is fishy, I walk...no.. I run away!

BIG </div></div>

I don't think Rich was saying it shouldn't be a snooze/lose situation..........just that giving the parts back / selling the car to them would be the morally responsible thing to do. Personally, I'd sell them the car for $3k and be done.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 1,002 Times in 382 Posts

It's not always quite that simple. New titles have been issued on stolen cars. Going through the legal system to recover a loss can be very costly.

While you don't hear much about it, the major auctions have been known to catch a few stolen vehicles now and again, much to the surprise of the current &quot;owners&quot;.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Holy cow...!!! What a mess...!!! I guess the lawyers will figure it out...

ktownkid [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twertsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 68l30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this Little league? Everyone gets a trophy? It appears to be a stolen car, STOLEN PROPERTY...He apparently own's it. The one who invested in stolen property loses, sad but true,a hard expensive lesson to learn. He may be a great guy, BUT..

Make sure you buy a car with a clean title. I've bought 100's...if something is fishy, I walk...no.. I run away!

BIG </div></div>

I don't think Rich was saying it shouldn't be a snooze/lose situation..........just that giving the parts back / selling the car to them would be the morally responsible thing to do. Personally, I'd sell them the car for $3k and be done. </div></div>

Correct, the original owner should not be out of anything, and undoubtedly some upgrades cannot be taken off the car (body work etc) and should remain with the car, but it's also not fair IMO for him to get 7 times the value of the car back on some 16yo kids first car. I mean even here many post cars for sale and then say that the &quot;rims don't go with the car&quot; . Even license plates (J/k Charley) sometimes stay with the car. If the current keeper of the Camaro put on $4k rims, you are ok with the older owner getting them on a $2500 project car and too bad for the kid?

Sorry, that just seems wrong to me.

By the same token, the current owners should not damage the car in any way, even if they did body prep work or other non removable items.

I do think it should be the original owners choice:

1. Let the current person take his removable parts off the car without damaging it
2. Original owner to buy the cars upgrades for a very reasonable price
3. Let the current person buy the car for what it was worth, maybe a little more for &quot;interest&quot;

Sad thing is that we all know the cops won't trace this back. The person whom stole the car will probably get away with it......

Rich
Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I would not be so quick to reduce the value to the fellow who had his car stolen. Anyone own a car that had more personal value than what it might actually have been worth? Does the guy need to reveal everything to be justified?

I looked at a few cars in my youth which my dad sniffed out right away as being ones to walk away from. One 5.0 Mustang in particular, in hind sight, was probably a stoken car. I was lucky to have a wise father.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM

I know it sucks, I’ve been there. I was ripped off a ton of money, at the worst time in my life, when I could have desperately used it. In a way, I‘m still paying for it today one way or another. I had to go thru the justice system. When only two parties were involved, it took years. I took away his freedom and only then I was reimbursed what I lost. My added expenses, and hardships were another matter. I got nothing in the end for them. Sadly, The 16 year old needs to go thru the system, same as everyone else. He can file a report, let the investigation unfold and hopefully catch the thief that stole the car and stole his money . He’ll probably have to file a civil suit, if the person is ever apprehended. Either way, it’s going to take some time.

It pays to keep your files intact. Who you bought it from, where, phone numbers ect. Always keep some type of file or trail in this day of scam artists.

BIG
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,215 Posts

Both wronged parties need to fight separate legal battles making sure the perpetrator is apprehended and firmly dealt with first.
Do whatever's necessary to get the car back legally including fresh title in hand <span style="text-decoration: underline">dated after </span> any of the foolishness that went on.
Car home and title secure you can look at the car/parts/situation w/ fresh eyes and if you can help the father/son team w/ cash and/or parts back or agree on a fair amount to sell them the project, big kudos to you!
Good intentions or not, involving the father/son too early could obstruct the clear path necessary to firmly nab the crook and/or gain hold of the car and clear title so best proceed selfishly until the cards are in your hand to play whatever way you see fit then.
Best to all innocents involved, swing the thief from the highest tree!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktownkid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy cow...!!! What a mess...!!! I guess the lawyers will figure it out...

ktownkid [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] </div></div>

Get the lawyers involved as a last resort.

The law will likely yield a lopsided decision. The original victim will likely get his car back. The subsequent victim will loose his $$$. The original victim wins and the second innocent victim gets shafted even more. ( he loses the car he already paid for as well as his restoration expenses)

The only one that should really get the shaft is the thief or thieves

The bottom line is that there are two victims here and from an ethical perspective, both need to reach an amicable decision.

1. The original victim recovers his car and the second victim keeps as much as his investment as possible

2. The original victim sells the recovered vehicle to the second victim.

Keep the lawyers out of it if possible as both will pay out and loose even more.

Both parties need to come together, find the perpetrator and make him pay figuratively and literally.

Although the second victim was probably in the wrong/careless for investing in a car without a title, one can argue that the original victim was in the wrong/careless for not properly securing his vehicle.

Just my opinion
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM

There have been cars that have had two clean titles from different states. it does happen, but in most cases the law will side for the owner that had the cars stolen. Situations like this should never happen, but they do. And as stefano said, sometimes auctions do catch these problems. Unfortunately some of these cases will go to court, they both will not win. And the government will not accept any liability for this.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Why should have to reimburse anyone for work that he never authorized ? </div></div>

Maybe its just because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with that car in my garage and someone else's time and money into it and me having zero into that work. Doesn't matter how it went down. </div></div>

Same here..I would try to reimburse the guy who spent the money..maybe not all but a reasonable monetary amount.