Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Late 68-72 B/M Corvette Hood

I think you mean Legendary, not Legacy. The original owner was a fellow named Larry. The company was originally called Fast Glass. Over the years things changed for a number of reasons. Fire was said to have ruined some things, but they also hopped around to several locations over the years and things would always suffer. I suspect they didn't sell many of those hoods for a long enough period of time that the original mold was scrapped. The one you have was probably remade only 10-15 years ago.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM

pxtx, you are correct about the name, my mistake. The mold was in very good shape and only required a little work on the edges and several good coats of wax to prep. I have no indication as to exactly when this mold was made, only where it came from.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:55 PM

I don't think the problem is the mold. It is the materials and technic that was used back then is not the same that made the pictured hood. The old hoods were made by chop guns and hand rolled, and might have used cut fiberglass strips. The old way took lots of hand manual labor, every hood was different. The hood pictured looks like it is a molded hood made with the technology used to make the new Nickey Chicago hoods.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM

A lot of the old chop hoods looked like crap, honestly. I saw one on a red car at Carlisle in maybe 05 or 6 and it had resin runs half way down the inside (and no air box). They stacked them on end to dry back in the day. This hood is much lighter with a three layer lay up. Not trying to pass it off as original but a nice quality piece for anyone that wants one. I suppose I could duplicate one with a chopper gun and make it look that way, but I really wouldn't want to. As far as the air box goes, that looks like the L88 style insert cut out for a full air cleaner base (not just the spark arestor).
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM

I saw similar hoods at Corvettes@Carlisle from Legendary about 8 years ago??? Not sure the exact date, but it was not that long ago. Then all of a sudden Legendary stopped attending the Corvette show all together. I suppose this hood would work for a driver, but it is so much different in design and materials that anyone would spot the current technology in manufacturing. I see it has been listed on ebay over the past month, but no takers yet. Will be curious to see if it sells, even as a repro. I almost think, since Motion used L-88 hoods as well, you would be better off buying an original L-88 hood if you wanted to restore a car. I still see some originals now and then on EBAY.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM

The first hood is on its way to California. Another is curing in the mold (I'm just being lazy and using the same pictures).
Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Hood mounted on the car in California.

[/URL]
Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM

I have an original chopper gun style hood in the for sale section.