Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: Camaro History On Display Tomorrow Evening

The purpose of the Pilot program was to functionally test all portions of the assembly process that were new for the new model.

The IBM card was key punched. That was then fed to the IBM 360 Model 40. This generated the downstream data feed to generate the body plate which the hobby calls the trim tag.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

The builds designated as pilots were selected from a batch of already key punched IBM cards intended for regular early September production.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM

Kurt S asked the exact question I was going to ask. That car didn't have an emblem on the trunk when it was on Ebay so how did the owner install it because there shouldn't be access holes in the bottom of the decklid to install the nuts on a car supposedly built in May. The early August production cars didn't have emblems on the trunk from what I have been told. Maybe Kurt S or others can explain to me if I am right or wrong.

JT
Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The builds designated as pilots were selected from a batch of already key punched IBM cards intended for regular early September production. </div></div>

Again, I'm not quite following this so I apologize as I try to follow the process. GM was building pilot cars in May 0f 66, regular production appears to have started in August as theres some 08A tags,and maybe some others before you get to 09B. How would there be at least 860 cars already que'd up in the order process as ready to build in May, when the car wasn't even announced for till July?

My Pace Car
Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM

I have still photography of a gold pilot with a deckled with the emblem installed. While the photography does indicate which goldl L6 it is the location of the photograph by background structures is consistent with the initial destination of DD01D.

More importantly the decklid is as original as the owner could save. The strengthening channels on the trunk side had to be partially replaced because they were cut out to remove weight. The skin and the remaining infrastructure was saved.

The owner states he &quot; spent a fortune&quot; saving every piece of sheetmetal. &quot;Would have been a fraction of the price to replace with nos&quot;

Finally: original trunk lid had holes which were found during the restoration.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark_C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The builds designated as pilots were selected from a batch of already key punched IBM cards intended for regular early September production. </div></div>

Again, I'm not quite following this so I apologize as I try to follow the process. GM was building pilot cars in May 0f 66, regular production appears to have started in August as theres some 08A tags,and maybe some others before you get to 09B. How would there be at least 860 cars already que'd up in the order process as ready to build in May, when the car wasn't even announced for till July? </div></div>

Validation of the planned production process requires data insertion that would exercise and verify that the support systems were &quot;in control&quot;. Meaning that they tested with production data elements that were planned for regular production so IBM cards that were already key punched were selected and used. The system was further validated with manual insertion of additional content to the build. (handwritten content)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it the decklid is not the original? Early cars didn't have decklid emblems. </div></div>

According to the owner the decklid is the original. </div></div>

Do you have a pic of the bottom side of the decklid?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 PM

I'm not following on the Fisher body date and number.

Norwood had been in operation for years, the tag system was the same.
I have early tag data from several other plants - I've never seen them make up data to try out the system on new model changeovers.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,173 Posts

When any early/preproduction cars were later assigned Vins (as William noted in the CRG thread) and this example happened to end up w/ tag # 00001, is it known conclusively yes/no if hidden Vins were added then too?
As understood, this 00001 car when found was missing original metal where the hiddens would've been but it's hard not to wonder whether any were ever really added in the first place...someone would need to have been following the tag installer around w/ a gang stamp and digit kit also who spent the time removing obstructions for access to the areas to be stamped?
What of other existing early cars and any hiddens also the found original engine for this one, original Vin stamping or no?
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
~ Pete
Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it the decklid is not the original? Early cars didn't have decklid emblems. </div></div>

According to the owner the decklid is the original. </div></div>

Do you have a pic of the bottom side of the decklid? </div></div>

You want the pictures from where it was under restoration of after completion...after the pilot guys signed it? It was/is an early lid for sure...