Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: Camaro History On Display Tomorrow Evening

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not following on the Fisher body date and number.

Norwood had been in operation for years, the tag system was the same.
I have early tag data from several other plants - I've never seen them make up data to try out the system on new model changeovers. </div></div>

Kurt,

I really do not know what to add to the discussion at this point on this particular line of questions. I have explained this about 5 times all the same reasoning. The tag system was the same the computer generating it was new.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteLeathersac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When any early/preproduction cars were later assigned Vins (as William noted in the CRG thread) and this example happened to end up w/ tag # 00001, is it known conclusively yes/no if hidden Vins were added then too?
As understood, this 00001 car when found was missing original metal where the hiddens would've been but it's hard not to wonder whether any were ever really added in the first place...someone would need to have been following the tag installer around w/ a gang stamp and digit kit also who spent the time removing obstructions for access to the areas to be stamped?
What of other existing early cars and any hiddens also the found original engine for this one, original Vin stamping or no?

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
~ Pete
</div></div>

On this car the alternate vin was actually found in four other places.......some were just last five digits. They were easily found when the car was disassembled and dry media blasted, but they weren't in the conventional assembly line places........
Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want the pictures from where it was under restoration of after completion...after the pilot guys signed it? It was/is an early lid for sure... </div></div>
Either one.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want the pictures from where it was under restoration of after completion...after the pilot guys signed it? It was/is an early lid for sure... </div></div>
Either one. </div></div>

Glad to assist Owner of the car is leaving for Hawaii.. I have requested the photos as soon as i get them i will post them up.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Still looking for date codes from the sheet metal - any YES they should have them. I believe Fisher Body should have date stamped just about everything. Even on a pilot car.

Alternator, distributor, cylinder head, engine block, transmission and rear axle should have date codes too. If not stamped assembly dates, then casting dates. These did not just appear out of thin air.

If you can't get the numbers, let me know the locations this car will be on display in the next year and I can look the car over myself.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcmiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still looking for date codes from the sheet metal - any YES they should have them. I believe Fisher Body should have date stamped just about everything. Even on a pilot car.

Alternator, distributor, cylinder head, engine block, transmission and rear axle should have date codes too. If not stamped assembly dates, then casting dates. These did not just appear out of thin air.

If you can't get the numbers, let me know the locations this car will be on display in the next year and I can look the car over myself.
</div></div>

Boy this thread has epic potential for educational purposes moving forward...
Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 PM

Just trying to &quot;learn something new&quot;. So are you saying there are no date codes on any of the parts?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 PM

That's the whole idea of this &quot;hobby&quot; learn something new every day, put the pieces together as to how things were done back in the day.

My Pace Car
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcmiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just trying to &quot;learn something new&quot;. So are you saying there are no date codes on any of the parts?

</div></div>

The Body and the sheet metal parts on the car have no date codes as you would expect from the stamping plant. There were tags only Some of the tags were found.

I have pictures on the way to address some of the other questions. In a later post I will be more specific on the description of what was found on the car.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM

Here is the car in Detroit for its unveiling. More photos to follow shortly inc, deck lid as found.