Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-02-2001, 03:31 PM

Default Gauge Package

I would like to install water temp & oil pressure gauges in our Deuce. Is it possible or economically feasible to try to find the original SW type gauges or would I be just as well off putting in the new style black faced gauges from Chev in a two gauge frame. Plan on driving the car to local shows but not too hung up on it being 100 percent correct at this time. It has other short comings such as incorrect exhaust and no smog equipment. We are just looking forward to getting it out when our weather improves.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-02-2001, 04:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Gauge Package

Jim:
The original guages in the '70 Yenko Novas were not Stewart Warner Greenlines, but rather Dixco brands. These guages are very hard to find these days, mainly because they were not high quality items and have not survived. I have found a few NOS sets on EBAY, I bought one set and notified other Yenko Nova owners about the other sets.

They are not very expensive when found, but I would not rely on them in my car. It would be a better choice for you to install the current black face, white lettering SW guages in your car at this time, and be on the lookout for the original Dixco guages as a conversation piece.

I do not plan to install the Dixco guages in my car, since it may have had SW greenline guages installed by the first owner who purchased them through the Yenko catalog. That is generally the only way SW-Greenlines found their way into a '70 Yenko Nova.

Best of luck,
M
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-02-2001, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the input Marlin. Any suggestions about the stock a/m radio? I think I may have found a local shop that is capable of making the repairs or at least telling me what is wrong. Are these radios easy to find? I don't want to have to buy two or three before I find one that works. In our '66 L79 I put one of the Autosound am/fm replacements and put the original on the shelf but would rather keep the original stock radio in the Deuce.
Old 02-02-2001, 06:53 PM

My uncle just purchased a radio from Radio Man for his '68 Z28. Very nice quality and sound. I couldn't beleive it. They go for about $350. To me, there is nothing like seeing that factory radio in the slot. Just my $2.
Mitchell
Old 02-03-2001, 05:17 AM

NWYenko,
I sent away for a catalog from a company called "Radio Man", he is out of Texas. If you get a old stock GM/Delco AM unit (send a broken one with a good face/cosmetics) and send it to him he will convert it to a AM/FM or AM/FM CD changer (Changer to be located somewhere else in the car). The units are cool and look more original than the "Custom Autosound" units.

Andrew
Old 02-03-2001, 05:22 AM

Jim;
I just purchased an NOS AM radio, with the green lettering, on EBAY for $95. I thought that was a pretty good deal, but won't know for sure until it arrives. I felt that the repair bill on one of my used ones would be about the same. I would watch EBAY for them, they appear frequently but can go much higher.
M
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-03-2001, 05:25 AM

Andrew, Tell me more! Tell me more!! I assume you have an address. I need a radio that works. I rented a new Taurus in Phoenix and drove 4 miles before I realized the radio didn't work and returned it immediately!!
Jim
Old 02-03-2001, 05:48 AM

jim;
i agree with marlin on the reliability factor on the gauges.i've had a set of S&W gauges in my deuce close to 20yrs now.i guess it's just a piece of mind thing!!motors can get expensive!!!!it's great to hear you are planning to drive&enjoy your car!!i tend to be a little more careful nowadays,but that accelerator still gets pressed down pretty hard!!best of luck with your car!!!
john
Old 02-03-2001, 05:54 AM

I will look for the catalog when I get home. I think that I originally got the # out of an ad in "Classic Truckin'". The gentleman that I spoke to (when I called) gave me the impression that he is a one manned shop. He was very friendly and knowledgeable and sent me a nice, well presented catalog. The shop does go under the name "Radio Man" and is from Texas. I thought that it was cool also. I was happy to see that the "Deuce" went to someone that will enjoy it , and is also in the "Super Car Club". Congrats on your purchase. I had one of my buddies take a picture of me with your car, not knowing that you bought it. I will try to find that # tonight.
Andrew
Old 02-03-2001, 11:59 AM

I'll take a radio delete plate over AM tunes..BKH