Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 03-14-2001, 02:07 PM

Default '68 Baldwin Motion Impala in the new SC

Any comments on this car? Just wandering if any of you have saw or know of this car. It looks pretty nice from the pics.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-14-2001, 08:35 PM

Default Re: '68 Baldwin Motion Impala in the new SC

Is that car documented? It looked really nice! The "big" cars (Impalas,Caprices,Bel Airs, and Biscaynes) kind of got overlooked in the late '60s and early '70s because the Camaros,Novas and even Chevelles were so much lighter. I thought that the car was very cool. I have seen Rich B's Biscayne and I thought that that was way cool. Neat!

Andrew

Old 03-14-2001, 08:56 PM

I talked to this guy a few months ago and he admitted to me it was not real, yet it was going to be featured in a magazine. I believe it to be the same car advertised in hemmings a while back. Nice car though.
Old 03-14-2001, 10:50 PM

This 68 Impala now belongs to me.I didn't build it so I am unbiased as to its condition. The pictures that are in SC really DO NOT do the car justice. Jim did an outstanding restoration to the complete car. I do have the original window sticker from Baldwin Chevrolet and am trying to pursue further documentation from Joel Rosen. Be more than happy to discuss this car....
Old 03-14-2001, 11:33 PM

Moose maybe you can try and post some pics of it here. I don't know how to do it but maybe someone can tell us the secret. I don't have the latest SC so I haven't seen it yet. I'm kind of partial to the big cars myself !
Old 03-15-2001, 02:59 PM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 488 Posts

I think Vince Piggins and some of the other hi performance minded engineers at Chevy liked the L72 427/425 hp motor and they were determined to put them on the street to battle the Hemis and big block Fords. The L72 Biscayne was a great SuperCar deal. You didn't even have to go through the COPO system, or get the SS option, or get an upgraded hood with your 425hp Biscayne. Super Stock magazine tested a 1968 L72 427 Biscayne in the April 1968 issue. The writer (Joe Oldham) picked it up from Baldwin Chevrolet and listed the options as L72, M21, 4:56 gear, F41, and AM radio - cost $3454.35 - weight 3800lbs. The car was unmodified with the AIR pump and with the stock tires in place it ran 13.65 at 110 mph. Oldham felt that with headers, slicks, and a dynotune it would easily run in the 12's. He recommended installing a Hurst shifter because he didn't feel confident powershifting the stock Muncie shifter at 6000 rpm. For about $4K and a weekend worth of work, you could have had a 12 sec. street sleeper drag car that would have beaten most of the cars on the road at that time and even today.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

As a owner of a 68 425 HP Biscayne I can tell you they are a blast. Mine is equiped just like the car in the test other than mine has M22, radio delete, and disc brakes. On repeop tires I have run a best of 13.65 on a wed. night test and tune. Most of the time its tire spin city with that car. It will suprise the Camaro and Chevelle fans on how those big barges move.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:49 PM

Those Chevy guys new what they were doing when they stuffed those big blocks in the big cars....big cars were the only thing going in the early 60's...BARGE ?????? Micky you mortally wound me !!!! But seriously...better keep that barge out of my area...I have a Camaro that wants to meet you on a dark 2 lane....!!!!!!! and please refrain from the "boat anchor","truck motor" description of the famed 409! Because "I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes" !HMMMM could that be the birth of the Supercar ?? naahhhh
Old 03-16-2001, 02:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Bob, thats why I built my racecar. Last time to the strip I tore up the trans in it and said that I wont do it anymore. Its easier to buy parts that they make everyday for these new cars, but the dated stuff has become so rare and expensive I just cant do it to them anymore. I really like all of the big cars, even the old 09's. By the way, I have a "real" boat anchor 67 435 hp 427 vette block that is junk that was just removed from my racecar. Need every cyl. sleeved. I bet the guy who built this originally had no clue on what this thing was worth to the right person.
Old 03-16-2001, 11:54 AM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 488 Posts

Well, if you don't want to call the big iron a musclecar how about a musclebarge?