Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 AM

Default Yenko Camaro VIN 124379N615272..and its' history

First off I would like to say that this post isn't meant to be malicious or to hurt an individual. While the owner is known to some, it isn't my intention to post his name nor should others. It is meant to be a record of a REAL Yenko that has an interesting history and to serve as a reminder that while certain info is known, doing your homework is essential before a purchase.

The car in question is a real Daytona Yellow, black vinyl roof Yenko Camaro with a VIN of 124379N615272. It is currently "restored" and while I haven't personally seen the car I'm told it looks stock. However such wasn't always the case.

The Camaro has an interesting history dating back to 1970. The local lore is that the car was purchased from Hechler Motors by John Zagos (sp?) a local drag boat/street racer. Hechler was a performance oriented dealer and Zagos was well known. He actually ended up purchasing the yellow ZL1 1969 Corvette from Hechler Motors in late 1970/early 1971. The car received a set of mini tubs along with a Dana 60 rear end in 1970, and was street/strip raced.

After a series of owners and drivetrain combinations the car ended up being regulated to the backyard where Mike Roberts of Mechanicsville, VA found the car in 1980. In 1980 the car was still wearing the original paint and remenants of the original vinyl stripes when Mike bought it.

He wanted a street car, and over the next few years, and many different drivetrain combinations, built a strong running car. Mike wound up receivng some magazine coverage in 1987, in I think Cars Illustrated with an article describing the fact it was a Yenko, but also a race car.

When the Richmond Super Chevy Show debuted in 1995, the car was sporting a full "pro street," look. The car by that time had aluminum full tubs, a gusseted frame, full aluminum interior (they had taken out the original floors, trans tunnel, and back seat bracing), and a full cage. The original dash and firewall were not affected however. The car was running in the 8's and was a mainstay at the local tracks. Now enter Mick Price.

Mick Price had tracked down the car, this would have been in 1997 or 1998. After repeated phone calls and finally getting the cowl and VIN info Mick made an offer on the car of 25k. According to Mike, Mick didn't seem at all concerned about the condition of the body or the fact that the car was a full blown race car..He was only interested in the tag info and the condition of the firewall and dash. Mike sold the car and forgot about it.

I ended up running into Mike and asked about his old car. He told me he sold it in 1997 or 1998 to a "Yenko guy," and that he felt it was restored in a collection. I made a few inquires here and after a few discussions located the car. The current owner has had the car about 1 year, and after talking to him knows the "history" on his car. I have also talked to a few other people that know the car and they feel comfortable that the car was a "firewall back rebody." It is still a bonafide Yenko VIN, just not an original sheetmetal car.

The point here is that while the current owner doesn't care, others might and therefore any potential purchaser needs to know the complete story. The current owner is a nice guy, and I'm sure will disclose the history of the car. This post isn't meant to point any fingers as to who or what was actually did to the car, but to make everyone aware if the car is ever resold. The biggest lesson that I think can be learned is to do your homework..BEFORE you buy. A few simple calls or a visual inspection by a competent "Yenko person," might have steered the owner into another car. With so much being faked and so much money being passed around it is very important to know the car you are buying. I did find it interesting that in researching this car I spoke to others that know of similar cars, with similar "issues" in other collections..some of them big name guys. Therefore don't by the "story," (as gun collectors say..)or the reputation of the person selling ...buy the car.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 69032-camaroyell.jpg 68963-holy cow batman web.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-03-2004, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Yenko Camaro VIN 124379N615272..and its' history

It looks like you did your homework! If everyone was this thorough there would be a lot less law suits. This is a great forum for verifying cars and documentation, you can't get much past these guys
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM

There is a ZL-1 that has had about the same kind of sheetmetal surgery also, does not seem to affect the value. I do agree with your point that it should be disclosed when the car is sold. But i also think if you look closely at the car, your eyes would give you a clue something is not quite right. This is one reason if i was to spend big $$$ on a car, it would be up on a hoist for a very close inspection. Roger
Old 02-03-2004, 03:08 PM

While the cars value is a matter of opinion, I think this case proves the point of factory documentation and before any purchase researching the car. Talk to former owners, make an internet search, talk to other collectors. This is especially important if the car has been restored as fresh paint, new interiors, and "clean" engines can hide things. Also above all else take a qualified person along if you aren't..I understand the owner of this Yenko passed on having a noted collector look at the car to asscertain the condition and value.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:08 AM

HOLY COW BATMAN !!!

Attached Images

Old 02-04-2004, 02:41 AM

I thought that VIN # sounded familar.It was just a matter of time before the TRUTH would show its UGLY face.I recall there was more to that story??? "MOF"
Old 02-04-2004, 03:07 AM

Mr. Yenko, don't keep us in suspense,! What is the rest of the story?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Ahhh! Where can I find a grape ape?

67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Yenko Camaro VIN 124379N615272..and its' histo

I don't know about the about the rest of the car, but I have one of the few known original pieces of the Grape Ape....the front sway bar!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Yenko Camaro VIN 124379N615272..and its' histo

I hate to dig up a dead horse...but I will...Zedder posted info on a bogus buildsheet on a car someone from this board had for sale ....without even naming names his post was deleted...and he was subsequently banned...for reasons other than the post. Now here we have info and a VIN no less being posted about a re-bodied car and there seems to be no problem with this...is the owner not a member of this board ? I don't have a problem with info like this becoming public because it usually stays in the background as whipsers but no one ever says anything publicly...but if there is a problem with one car and it is made public then we should be willing to read about ANY car that there is questions about...we can't be selective anymore...values are high and this board should be willing to post any and all info on something bogus...we pick apart nearly every car that gets posted or is found on e-bay for sale...so to our Admins and Moderators...keep it in perspective and keep it even handed...