Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Default regalvanizig

I'm going to try my hand at posting a picture then I'll pose the question. Tom
Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: regalvanizig

Tom,

And your question is??? LOL! Sorry, how's the head???

Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 01:39 PM

OK..Looks like I did it and am now an official IT guy..Now off to spelling class for the GALVANIZING test!
I've been interested for a while on why no one I know has experimented with regalvanizing the parts during restorations? Maybe people are and I don't know them or their cars? I sent some samples to a local galvanizer and above are the results. I suspect some of you will contend that these pieces were never this bright. I asked these questions to the owner of the galvanizing plant. He claims that there is no way to regulate the shine and that it depends on the metal it is applied to. He went on to explain that all galvanizing starts out bright and dulls relatively quickly (as evident by the different lots of product outside in his yard)The above picture has an NOS tail lamp assembly for a comparison..It was in the original box that has had some water damage. I think it will be near impossible to decide one way or the other if these parts were in fact bright when new? Maybe some of you old timers (for lack of a better word) can remember these pieces brand new? There is also a problem with redoing the pieces. The new galvanizing is thicker than the original and I'll need to find a place that cares a little more. I suspect the sheet steel was galvanized on some parts BEFORE stamping but am not sure. the thickness had made the piece loose some detail. I think the list of galvanized parts is long and if there is enough interest I'll post the list that I've compiled so far..Comments appreciated.Tom
Old 02-09-2004, 01:44 PM

The head is not good thats why I'm playing Camaros first thing on Monday morning whilst loafing at work! Beer has fallen from the #1 position to the #2 position in my book!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:49 PM

Oh, come now, you have to work??? I thought everyone could "lay off" like me and play on the computer.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:13 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing your list of galvanized parts. As for the brightness I can believe it would dull down like the galvanizer said, but I agree with you we will probably never really know for sure. Sincerely Brian
Old 02-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Heres a list of what I think are galvanized pieces for a 67 Camaro convertible with manual top:
4 manual top spring assembly guides
center convertible top bow cloth pinch holder
convertible inner 1/4 window kidney plate covers
fuel filler neck
fuel filler neck rubber sleeve hold down
front dash speaker structure
some brackets for the heater duct system
the am radio housing
convertible tack strips 3 pieces
tail light backs
gas tank straps
gas tank
headlight buckets
some truck latch mechanisms or part of
tire wingnut..have found at least one version
the vast majority of the inside of the doors and quarter windows..regulators and guide tracks
...as a reference point the galvanizing seems to be different for some components. The tail light backs are aggressive with the galvanization where as the speakers, radios and duct brackets seem to be thinner for lack of a better word.. many houshold products have this type of finish..Computer cases, bottoms of toaster ovens, the back plates of stoves and refridgerators etc ect.. CHECK IT OUT! Anyone know of other pieces? the more I look, the more I find
Old 02-12-2004, 01:53 PM

another pic..tank strap and convertible spring machanism guides
Attached Images