Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 AM

Default Re: 327 chevy motor in Rochester New York

Bobby D. thanks for posting that "war and peace" of engine data, what is the source?

According to widely recognized MOR TEC
and several other tech sites that quote GM production
the 3914678 cast was used for 327 as a two bolt and a 302 as a four bolt. As was the 3955618 327/2bolt 350/4bolt.

add to that John Z being there.........

Trust me, I would love to see proof of a factory 4bolt 327 in a passenger car from detroit.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 AM

Damn maybe I just should have kept my mouth shut,I sure didn't want to get any crap started. And I personally have never seen a 327 four bolt main engine block either from the factory or one converted into a 4 bolt main block. I got the verbal information from an old guy that built many many engines over the years,he owned a old machine shop for over 45 years and all they did was build engines,also he used to race here locally years and years ago. The old guy is about 87 years old now but gets around pretty well and is not senile.
I actually went by to see him for a couple of mopar parts and got to talking to him about the 327 four bolts and If he had ever seen any. So that was the verbal information,I would have him log onto the site but he don't like computers and says that electronc technology is killing us all! He still toast his bread in an oven LOL! The list I posted of the engine castings came from here!

http://www.geocities.com/meanracing/...formation.html

And here!
http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/blockid.htm

Also I was told by someone today that if you also look at a book called CHEVROLET SMALL-BLOCK V8 I.D. GUIDE it will show there that some 4 bolt 327 engines were built or existed. Now whether they were for cars,trucks, or combines or other commercial applications I do not know.
Now I know that these references I posted are not 100% correct and in most can and do have errors they were produced bu HUMANS.
The only reason I posted it was the controversary of yes they made 4 bolt 327 engines and No they did not make them. I think that back in those years many things happened and no one knows all of them and it is possible that they were made, could be a mistake or not I do not know. You guys certainly have more knowledge than I do on things like this and certainly have see a lot more than I have. I am just posting what I was told and what I found to see if any of it makes any sense to you guys.
I am not saying GM made the 327 four bolt main engines or not! You do have quite a few people saying they seen some and that they know people that have seen some! and I also talked to the OLD MACHINIST that said he seen some and even rebuilt some and that he had also converted some 2 bolt blocks to 4 bolt blocks! As far as John Z. that worked for GM and says that there were none made I can appreciate the knowledge someone like him has and the things he must have seen when he worked at GM, and I can see where you guys take him at his word and I bet his word is 99% GOLDEN! they did not make any 4 bolt 327 engines.
But on the other hand I bet you guys have heard of other things not being done at GM and then later in the years things show up and left you guys saying I BE DAMNED they did do that! I think it would be hard for one man to say NO that GM never had or produced them!
Unless it was that persons job to see and inspect all engines! or just be over the Engine Department completely!
I am certain that John Z. knows WAY WAY WAY MORE than MOST people about GM and what went on in those early years!
And I am in NO way saying he is wrong. But based on what has popped up over the years that has been said NO GM DID NO SUCH THING BACK THEN! But then things showed that GM MUST HAVE DID THEM BECAUSE THERE WAS THE PROOF ! What happens now if a 327 engine pops up that is a FACTORY 4 bolt main engine! Do you say that DAMN GM DID DO THAT,DAMN GM DIDN'T DO THAT or John Z. made a mistake! Don't get me wrong,I am not knocking John Z. or any other people and there knowledge at all! I Respect you guy's a lot because of what you guys know and do, and personally It is nothing to me one way or the other if a 327 four bolt main engine was ever made.
But you have to think with what these others say! IS IT POSSIBLE !
Again let me add I did not post anything to get any crap started with anyone I just posted what I heard and found on the internet! Whether it is true or not I am not sure. But I bet stranger things have happened at the GM and other car manfacturing Plants. THIS POST WAS NOT MADE TO OFFEND ANYONE ON WHAT THEY KNOW OR BELIEVE GM DID BACK IN THE DAY! IT WAS MADE TO SHOW ONLY WHAT I WAS TOLD AND WHAT I FOUND ON THE INTERNET AS FAR AS REFERENCE SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE I WAS ONLY TRYING TO SHARE WHAT I FOUND TO SEE IF IT MADE SENSE REGARDING THE TOPIC! Also forgive me for the poor spelling,grammar and punctuation!

BOBBY DODSON
Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 AM

Bobby, no offense taken or intended. I just wanted to add your source to my reference!!
I appreciate all input and opinion and more often then not, the old timers know a little bit more than the books!

I guess the 327 4 bolt may go the way of the rag top Z16

thanks for sharing