Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-30-2004, 11:07 AM

Default 302 HEMI Cross Ram on Ebay?

Is this the real deal?

Clickable Link to Auction

Description from Auction:

This Original GM Cross ram is one rare find. The Top and bottom are very special parts. Check out the part numbers on the Top. You will see the winters Foundry symbol and 2 part numbers. The first part number is 3941130 and the second is 3965549. The First number 3941130 is for 1968 - 1969. The second number is 3965549 HEMI applications. Most people don’t know about this Part number. The History is Chevy created 3 Hemi 302 test engines. The Hemi was based off the original 302 block modified ( push rod clearance) and Special Hemi pistons, Heads with a Cross ram 2X4 intake. These Parts were made in late 12/68. The Top was made to fit both standard and HEMI Bottoms. The HEMI engine conversion never came in to Production. This Top has to be 1 of a hand full made and it’s in like new condition. Now for the Bottom. The Very large raised Winters symbol plus a heat shield. There are no part numbers on the runners. This part is special from all others. It has a special GM heat shield riveted on to the bottom. I never removed the shield so I’m not sure of its date code. The bottom is for stock chevy heads and not the HEMI Head. It does have the provisions for stock heater hoses like those used on 1968 and 1969 bottoms. The Carbs are 2 production matched NOS Part numbers 3957859 4295 both are 0179. Included is the wide base air cleaner housing with filter and Chrome top. Throttle linkage and bracket for cabel,return spring bracket,Y block, alt bracket and NOS GM Gasket in not opened GM package

Is the cover alone worth as much as the rest of the manifold?

My Pace Car
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Re: 302 HEMI Cross Ram on Ebay?

A friend of mine has two of those three 302 Hemi engines on stands in his basement. Somehow he got the two a long time ago from Smokey Yunick who had got them from Chevrolet for testing and they never went back. I believe the third was put into a Daytona Yellow 69 Z28 built by Smokey, if I remember correctly the car still exists today in someones collection.
Motown
HuggerSS (11-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2004, 12:25 PM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts

Smokey Yunick was working for Ford in 69
Old 01-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Doesn't Charlie own that car?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:58 PM

Weren't these more of a canted valve head like the big block Chevies, as opposed to the Chrysler Hemi valve train layout?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 PM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts

Keith, I don’t know why some call it a Hemi head. They used to call them “semi hemi” head or porcupine head
Old 01-30-2004, 01:57 PM

This auction is for a cross ram setup with a manifold top from a hemi (or porcupine) head setup. Except for the part number the top appears to be the same as a "standard" crossram top. If a standard cross ram setup is going in the $7500 range it looks like the top alone is worth about 3K (without reaching the reserve).

Unless your one of the 3 guys that has a hemi cross ram base, and are missing the top, is this worth anything to anyone else?

My Pace Car
Old 01-30-2004, 02:01 PM

Al Maynard has...or had...a 302 Hemi motor installed in a silver 69 Z28. I last saw it sitting in Floyd Garrett's muscle car museum.

Pretty impressive piece.

Keith: Wayne Guinn's book "Camaro Untold Secrets" has a good section on the valve arrangement and design of the head. Interesting reading and some cool photos too.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:06 PM

Joe,
As I said I was trying to work from memory, sometimes there are cloudy days, others are partly sunny. But I do know from all the research I just went through on the 68 Team Shelby TA car that Smokey was bouncing back and forth and doing a bit of Moonlighting for Chev that Ford wasnt aware of. No matter who had Smokey, the other side always wanted him. I believe he was working for Chev with the Hemi 302 which took place as early as late 67 to early 68. But, I may have the info all screwed up as trying to keep up with Maynard while he is describing his tresure trove is like listening to a 33 record at 78 speed. He has two of these engines, if I remember correctly at least one was all aluminum. I need to call Al anyway, I will ask him about these engines and re-post.
Motown
Old 01-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,871 Times in 1,030 Posts

I had the Yellow car but it is now in Canada. Gary Holub has a Silver Z with one that he has done up with Smokey Yunick lettering in a Yenko Motif. Al Maynard has one in a Silver Z and I think 2 other engines. There were about 6 complete engines and several more sets of heads that were developed by Chevrolet and sent to Smokey for evaluation. I think Al has more of that stuff than anybody.