Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-03-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Veterans "oral" histories

Hi,

I decided to try to combine 2 interest here...cars and history..I would love to converse with any vets from WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. I'm especially interested in fellow Marines, but any and all histories are appreciated. Eventually would like to get an "oral" history of your experiences. Any Marines from Tet here? I would like to discuss anyones' views concerning the '60's and politics from people that were there...

Also anyone having an interest in WWII (especially The Ardennes and the Pacific campaigns) history, aviation or weapons, please email. As a side note I'm always looking for US/German Martial items..Thanks for the consideration..

Has anyone visited the European battlefields..Normandy, Flanders, the Argonne, Hurtgen Forest, the Ardennes, or any of the Soviet battlesites..I'm interested in touring, possibly this summer and would like some feedback..

Semper Fi,
Gregory Carlson
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 73496-Vipers.JPG 73495-Eagle.JPG 73479-Scan10009.JPG 73478-Scan10008.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-03-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Veterans "oral" histories

Interesting....my brother was in Chu-Lai...I think he got out in 66 or 67...just before Tet ? He bought a 65 GTO when he got out...he doesn't have e-mail though but he is totally "normal"...not up in the mountains or anything thank God...but we never really sat down and talked about it...he said it was nasty but never did go into it...I wish you luck...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,414 Times in 762 Posts

My father in law was in Viet Nam in the late 60's. Nice guy, very quiet. Likes to fish and cruise around in his 71 Old cutlass convertible. For some reason he won't go into, he does not eat chicken anymore, since he came back. No one in the family ever got an explanation for it, either. Maybe one day he'll talk. I have always had an interest in WWII armament of the allied and axis powers. At age 8 I could name every piece of military hardware in its native language. Rather bizarre now that I think about it. Probably a past life infringing on the current one!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:45 PM

I am the same way..I tend to concertrate on US and German weapons, a lot on armor and infantry weapons. For those interested Schiffer and RZM have a lot of good titles of books for reference and enjoyment.. Anybody else have any realtives from WWII that they want to share?

Greg
Old 03-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,710 Times in 508 Posts

Greg, I recently restored an L78 nova that was ordered new by a Marine Corps Vietnam Vet. Took some time but I tracked him down and got his story on the car, but we didn't talk about the war. I have some pictures of him at his firebase with his buddies also day 2 shots with the car in early 70.
There was a feature article in the oct 03 Nova Times. I dedicated the car to him we call it the Marine Corps Nova. The car will be displayed at the york US30 Muscle car show in July York,Pa. If you would like a copy of the mag send me a PM with your address and I will send you one.

SEMPER FI Wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 AM

I was never in the service due to a VERY bad back but I collect war items also and have numerous artifacts from VietNam, and World WarII.I have never visited any Battlefield sites but have artifacts from many,such as sand from Normandy Beach, original in Country Vietnam Patches,Sateen rip stop Uniform fatigues from Nam,some weapons from Nam, many other items from VietNam,Numerous books on vietnam mostly true stories (don't really care to read the untrue crapola stories).One of my best friends was a Medic in Nam and did not come home and I have his medics bag with all the contents except for the drugs of course and some equipment his Mom gave me.I also had the chance to meet Carlos Hathcock who was a Marine Corp sniper and had 93 confirmed one shot kills and probably one of the best shooters on the earth before he passed away.Also had a chance to meet Craig Roberts through the same friend who was also a Sniper in Nam. Craig is a well known author about Vietnam and is now a helocopter pilot for a Police Department.A very good Friend of mine is a member of the Former Marine corp Association and I met both Craig and Carlos at some of there meetings I was invited to.They had some great stories that would make you both laugh and cry. I have a very DEEP respect for all Veterans.I also love hearing Veterans stories even if they were a cook or what ever capacity they served in the Armed Services.My Brother also served in VietNam but will not say much about what it was like or what he went through over there except that it was a beautiful country and Hot as Hell.He is pretty normal but dos have some health issues and bad dreams about Nam.Good luck on geting the stories you want I have had the chance to talk with numerous VietNam Vets and most have some excellent stories to tell, but have ran across many VietNam Vets that do not care to talk about there time in country and after some of the stories I have heard I do not blame them at all for wanting to try and forget that time.Glad to see you guys are interested in the Veterans like me.Also Ebay is a very good source for numerous War related items,I have purchased many items from e bay from the original Veterans that served in VietNam.I find that a lot of Vets are letting go of these things after all these years.Of course it is ee bay and you have to be careful not to get DUPPED.But after a few e mails with someone it is pretty easy to figure out who was really there or not.

Bobby Dodson
Old 03-04-2004, 02:56 PM

Gunny Hathcock was a fine man and I was fortunate to have met him many times. When I was collecting I was fortunate to also have collected some historically significant items. Way too many to list, but I concertrated on items from D-Day and the Bulge. It is hard to compare holding a historically significant firearm, say a M1A1 carbine from a paratrooper who saw action at St. Mere-Eglise, to a car. In my mind the cars are cool, but they don't compare to items that were used to kick the Nazi's out of France. As a student of history, things really get put into perspective when you hold a weapon or personal item of a solider and see the pitting from blood and know that someone died far from home protecting or defending an ideal.

Semper Fi
Old 03-04-2004, 08:48 PM

I agree 100%,I only met Mr. Hathcock one time but the stories he told that evening will always be etched in my mind.I sure would not have wanted him shooting at me!Good thing he was on our side.I do not have that many items from World WarII just a couple but have had a chance to see a few collections and had a chance to look at and hold many items, and you are correct about your statement holding those type of weapons.Most of my items are from VietNam,one knife in particular was well used that I purchased from a local hometown Vet.He also was one that did not mind too much talking about the war,some of the stories he had to tell made tears roll down my face.He has now passed on but I will never forget him and his stories and the items I have from his past.My poor wife thinks I am crazy for some of the items that I collect but I guess I can't blame her I am a little strange when it comes to certain things.To me the Veterans deserve more respect than they get! and Veterans day should be everyday.God Bless all the Veterans!

Bobby Dodson
Old 03-04-2004, 10:31 PM

I have been to Europe and some of the WW2 battlefields. I have been to Bastogne and the Ardennes. There are a lot of small Belgian towns that still have War relics in them. I went to visit my friend who is from Luxembourg and he took me to some of these places. We stopped at a little town called Hoffalize ( I believe this was the town) and they had a King Tiger tank on display in the town square. Try to hit the small towns as well as they have some great private (small) museums. Also the Battle of the Bulge Museum in Bastogne is great. Also, if you can make it, go to the AMerican Cemetary in Luxembourg City, this is where Patton is buried. ALso, there is a German war cemetary also in Luxembourg City. My best advice would be to check out the small towns as I said.
Bill
Old 03-05-2004, 12:27 AM

That sounds like a great Vacation,I would love to travel to some of those places.My dream vacation is to go to Vietnam and tour the Country there as you did the World WarII sites.Hopefully before too long I will get my heart transplant and be able to go there and some other sites as well.I have heard so many stories and read so much about Vietnam that it almost seems as I have been there.I guess that's the reason I am more a Vietnam freak also I lost numerous friends there and I was not able to go myself.I think I really would have loved the service if I had been able to join.I wanted to go in the Marines mainly due to the history of the Marine Corps. and what they stand for.Although I respect all branches of the Military with all my heart I am just partial to the Corps.Here in Texas at Fredricksburg there is the Admiral Nimitz mueseum and my Wife and I went there last year for a vacation.It is one of the best I have ever seen.They even have a area that represents the Solomon Island battle and they have some moving dummies dressed in era style uniforms and era weapons and have voice recordings and it seemed very real.The lights were dimmed and explosions occured lots of small arms firing etc.There were numerous older gentleman and there wives there and some of these guys had tears streaming after the presentation.I would assume they were there during the war and it brought back many memories for them.If you get to Texas try to go to Fredricksburg and visit the meuseum it is fascinating!My Dad God rest his soul was in the Korean conflict and suffered some severe stomach wounds while there and years later died from complications from his injuries.My Dad did not like to talk too much about Korea but would a little at times.He used to talk about how cold it was there and about some of his friends he served with.He told me one time it was so cold that your urine would freeze within 30 seconds of hitting the ground.I think that is why he settled in Houston Texas after he was discharged because of the warm weather here.I never heard my Dad talk of being hot or gripe about the heat index here in Houston.Maybe that is why I don't like cold weaher too much either and thats why I stay here also.We were on vacation in Virginia last year and it snowed about 10 inches and me and my Daughter and Son in law had a snowball fight in the hotel parking lot and after about 30 minutes I was almost froze,I had to run my hands under warm water to warm them up.After that I reflected back to the time my Dad told me the story of being so cold in Korea and thought about how miserable it must have been there.At least I had a nice warm motel room to warm up in and they had very little in Korea.Peace and Blessings to all Veterans!

Bobby Dodson